The Finding Hope Challenge 2019

Hello! Today I’m launching the @crafting.out.loud Finding Hope Challenge 2019. For detailed info, please watch my YouTube video below, but the basics are as follows: over the course of July we’re going to journal about all the things that give us hope, that feeling of positive expectation, the things we look forward to, so that by the end of the month we’ll have built up a ‘hope bank’ from which we can make withdrawals during times when our hope needs a bit of a top-up. Also, I’ve created another craft along kit to go with this challenge. Again, details are in the video. I do hope you’ll join me in creating this really useful wellness tool. xxx

Turtle Crafts UK: A Bucketful of Wonder

Hello! It’s time for my first blog post as a member of the Turtle Crafts UK design team. I was bowled over when I received the June kit – it’s so bright and beautiful and arrived at the perfect time because, this month, I’m focusing on scrapbooking my beach-themed photographs, and this kit’s summery feel lends itself wonderfully to seaside layouts. Today, I used the kit to create a shaker pocket for one of them. Ever since my children could sit up straight, they have loved digging in the sand and making sandcastles, so what better shape for a beach-themed shaker pocket than a bucket! Here’s how I made it.

First, I created a bucket-shaped cut file for my Silhouette Cameo and cut the bucket out of the Vicki Boutin Kaleidoscope paper that came in the kit. If you haven’t got a cutting machine, don’t despair; a bucket is a really simple shape to cut out using scissors or a craft knife. You could even find a template on the web to print and cut out.

Next, I used tape runner to stick a sheet of acetate to the back of the bucket and trimmed off the excess with scissors – this forms the window of the pocket.

To create the background, I placed the bucket on the Rainbow Triangles paper from the kit and drew around it. After that, I cut out the resulting shape with scissors and edged it with tape runner on the front. Next, I placed a pile of the Project Life acetate shapes in the middle of this background piece as well as the word ‘Wonder’ which I cut from the Dear Lizzy New Day cut-apart sheet.

Then all that remained was to assemble it, so I simply placed the bucket over the background and gently pressed the two pieces together, making sure there were no gaps around the edge through which sequins might escape.

I love how this shaker pocket turned out, and I’m really looking forward to using it on my next layout, for which I’ll be recording a process video, so do check out my YouTube channel as that’s where I’ll be sharing it towards the end of the month.

Thanks for stopping by! Until next time … happy scrapping! xxx